For those looking to make Christmas as sustainable as possible this year, Blenheim Estate Homes and Pye Homes have it all wrapped up with a wide range of homes which put energy efficiency first, as well as sustainably-sourced food and gifts within walking distance – including ‘homegrown’ trees.
Residents at Park View, near Blenheim Palace, won’t need to travel far to pick up a truly special Christmas tree*; the stunning ‘park fresh’ Estate-grown trees, including Norway Spruces and Nordman Firs, range from 4-8 ft in height and are cut on a weekly basis, with each one replaced with a newly planted sapling. Better still, Blenheim Estate will also be offering an ‘end to end’ service to allow customers to drop off their trees in the New Year to be recycled and used as compost in projects across the Estate.**
When it comes to shopping sustainably for the festive season, there’s a wealth of choice in the area:
Park View, Woodstock
- Woodstock Butchers stocks the finest quality meat reared in the local area, including Blenheim Estate lamb, Caldecott Farms poultry and Woods Farm pork
- Stock up on a wide range of Earth-friendly household cleaning, body-care products, and organic larder staples at Village Refill
- Don’t buy new furniture – invest in timeless pieces from the likes of Antique Oak Furniture and Antiques At Heritage
- No 5 Park Street stock a wide range of quality women’s clothing and accessories perfect for the party season and gift for your friends and family.
Church Farm, Radley
- Village Refill – (see above)
- Wells Farm Shop & Café is famous for its range of award-winning cheeses as well as fresh, local fruit and vegetables, deli counter and lots of delicious products
- Almond Boutique – fashion clothing, accessories, and jewellery
Temple Gate, Marcham
- For 45 years Millets Farm Shop has been selling a wider range of handmade, homegrown, local, fresh, unusual, delicious foods
For buyers looking for a home which puts energy efficiency first, Pye Homes’ Church Farm development in Radley, Oxfordshire ticks all the boxes. This sustainable community, built in partnership with Radley College, is championing a greener way of life. Air source heat pumps, in-roof solar panels and homes which are electric vehicle charging point ready, are just some of the features putting this eco-friendly development on house hunters’ radars. The development will comprise 240 two-, three- and four-bedroom homes, as well as cycle paths, green spaces and a play area in and amongst the wildflowers.
If a walkable lifestyle is top of buyer’s lists, then the homes at Park View make an attractive choice. Woodstock offers not only all your daily essentials but also wonderful cafes, pubs and shops and, unlike any other community, a palace with a glorious estate, right on your doorstep.
Championing local businesses and suppliers, the Marcham centre hosts Christmas gift and craft fairs, as well as other events for the community to enjoy and with the local pub reopened in recent weeks, there are great places to socialise with your neighbours all within close walking distance.
*The trees are on sale from December 1st to 17th, from the sales hut in the Estate Office car park in Woodstock, OX20 1PP between 10am-4pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
**Details of the recycling dates and location will be announced in due course.