With its cliff-top location, state of the art facilities and live sauna rituals, a new Alpine-themed luxury spa on the Yorkshire Coast is set to transport visitors to a whole new world of relaxation, unique in the UK, when it opens in March.
In its multi-sensory saunas and steam rooms, overlooking Scarborough’s stunning North Bay, Wellness at Alpamare brings together the very latest in world-leading luxury spa design, whilst also introducing brand new rituals and treatments inspired by ancient therapeutic traditions from the Alps to the the Orient – including the live Aufguss ceremony, currently taking Europe by storm.
Wellness at Alpamare sits alongside Alpamare Scarborough, a world-class waterpark which opened in 2016, and it has been created by one of the world’s leading spa designers, Stefan Ghetta alongside top international specialists Spa4, a company renowned for innovation and quality.
Dr Anton Hoefter, Alpamare chief executive officer explains: “It’s R&R as you’ve never known it before! Wellness at Alpamare is an experience that’s completely different from anything else in the UK, caring for the wellbeing of the mind as well as the body. You can free-flow through a series of saunas and steam rooms at will, follow ritual trails specially created by wellness experts, enjoy a classic treatment, or immerse yourself in an uplifting Aufguss ceremony – all with a magnificent sea view.”
Extending over 1000 square metres, with views over both the sea and Alpamare’s Waterpark, Wellness at Alpamare offers:
Live Aufguss rituals in the sea-view sauna, taking place several times a day. The Aufguss (the German word for ‘infusion’) is a wellness and purification ceremony performed by an aufgussmeister. During this intense and multi-sensory experience, essential oils are heated over hot stones, then directed as a scented steam towards the bathers, using rhythmical towel movements. Alpamare has a team of trained aufgussmeisters, each bringing something distinctive to the ceremony – music, poetry, scents or movement – so that each performance is totally unique.
- ‘Sauna World’ with a 95˚C Finnish panorama sauna, 75˚C clay sauna, hay bath, foot reflexology bath, and an ice and aroma shower.
- ‘Hamam Magic’ with a warm centre-stone, herbal steam bath, soap steam bath, rhassoul healing mud bath, and a foot bath.
- ‘Relax World’ a calm retreat which includes four private treatment rooms where clients can enjoy a menu of classic treatments like massage or facials.
- Alpamare is using product house Elemis, a high-tech skincare range using the finest natural ingredients.
- Three self-guided ritual ‘trails’, uniquely crafted for Wellness at Alpamare. Guests can choose between ‘Hamam-Relax’, ‘Detox’ or ‘Sauna Vitaility’, each ritual taking two to three hours.
- A chance to enjoy the waterpark on the ground floor, including Alpamare’s outdoor iodine infinity pool, heated to 35˚C and with a variety of massage jets, whirlpools and bubble benches.
Janet Deacon, Tourism and Corporate Marketing Manager for Scarborough Borough Council and Area Director for Welcome To Yorkshire says: “With the opening of its new holistic wellness centre, Alpamare Scarborough is helping to transform Scarborough into a spa town for the 21st century, leading the way – just as it did in the 18th century – as a top UK holiday destination, the ultimate place to escape the world for a while, relax, and find yourself rejuvenated.”
New spa manager, Amanda Shachnaey adds: “Whatever’s going on in your life, whether you need to relax or re-energise, the spa is designed to help you as an individual – whether it’s a personalised detox, an escape from everyday stress, taking time to relax with a loved one, or having fun with friends during a live ceremony or as part of a special event. It’s an experience that everyone can enjoy – in fact, in Northern Europe it’s so popular that it’s become a way of life!”