Which would be more likely to sway you into a job offer? Would you rather your new employer upped their monetary offer, or would you prefer more lucrative perks?

That’s exactly what Bolton digital marketing agency, The Audit Lab, wanted to know. They asked the British public ‘When looking for a new job , which is most important to you; higher salary or better benefits?’ and have taken an in-depth look at each region’s answers.

When it comes to Wales, there was almost no question. A whopping 60% opted for higher salary, leaving only 40% choosing work perks and benefits.

Claire Crompton, co-founder and director of The Audit Lab, says the two can be balanced:

“Different people want different things out of their careers, and that goes for both direction and rewards. What employers need to understand is that the most valued work perks aren’t arbitrary things such as free fruit and office beers. Whilst those things are great, people want their job to add value to their life, but also to be appreciated. Rather than adding a zero to their paycheque, could you help them out financially elsewhere? Pension contributions, a share scheme, or helping with childcare? That way you’re striking the perfect balance between the two.”

Wales – by gender

Splitting the data down according to gender revealed a very similar outcome to the overall results. It was clear that across the board both men and women are in favour of a higher salary over flexitime.

Men led the charge with an overwhelming 63% wanting salary, compared to a still high majority of 58% from the women.

Wales – by age

An incredible majority in the youngest category! Whilst Gen Z and millennials may be the ages that one would naturally associate with wanting a better work/life balance, the former were actually the most in favour of a higher salary with more than three quarters of our 18-24 year olds wanting cash in the bank.

The preference of benefits over salary also increased gradually throughout the ages, but it only gained the majority amongst 55 – 64 year olds and even then dipped back down once we hit the oldest category.

  • 18 – 24 year olds – 77% higher salary, 23% perks
  • 25 – 34 year olds – 63% higher salary, 37% perks
  • 35 – 44 year olds – 55% higher salary, 45% perks
  • 45 – 54 year olds – 53% higher salary, 47% perks
  • 55 – 64 year olds – 48% higher salary, 52% perks
  • 65+ year olds – 62% higher salary, 38% perks